Friday, October 9, 2009

Exit Drama

I was watching "Scrubs" on TV (a comedy series about a few doctors in a hospital) and there were a few episodes in which a long serving doctor decides to move to another hospital. This doctor wanted for people to feel his would be absence and unfortunately except for a couple of them everyone else cared a damn about him leaving. And this got me thinking.
How will people feel if and when I left my organization? Would they be happy about it, numb to it or would they be saddened by it?
I would happy if they feel bad about my absence but it would be very disturbing if they are happy about it. When we have made a difference in work for the good, been helpful, curbed our ego, humble, hardworking, sincere and maintain our integrity they will feel our absence. However if we are rude, slack off, argumentative etc., they would definitely have the a sense of ecstacy over my departure.
The same can be attributed to people when they die. There is a saying in Thamizh when we die there should atleast 4 people to shed tears. The number 4 is misleading. Basically it means that there should be few people to feel our absence. It shows that we made a difference in their lives for the good and they felt that a good soul has passed on.
I hope that I have made a difference both in work and in life for the good and there are a few souls who will feel bad about my absence and miss me. Even if this does not happen, I sure do hope that I am not one of those who are secretly despise me. Even if there is one soul who have this feeling towards me then I have failed in my life no matter how successful I am in materialistic terms and there would be no meaning to my life. I sure do hope that this does not apply to me.

No comments: