Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Simpler Times and Simpler Expectations

The one thing that I have noticed time and again is that I yearn for simpler times and simpler expectations. Life is getting so damn complex, hectic, competitive and unforgiving. These days even the minutest of mistakes are never forgiven or people find that they can ill afford to forgive. Sometimes I see the postman or the road repair worker and I cant but help myself to want to be them. When I see a period movie then I just want to rewind.
Technology and innovations/inventions are supposedly there to improve quality of life, make life simpler and give more time to relax. Look at the inventions in the earlier days like bicycles, electricity, or processes such as pasteurization or the polio vaccine. All these inventions/innovations improved life but did not make it complex. Things nowadays are anything but this.
Overall this leads to the Hindu principle of dont expect anything and just do your duty comes to mind. It looks like either I am expecting life to lot simpler and I should not expect this and just do my duty or the world is expecting a lot from everyone. Which one is it?

No comments: