Thursday, January 27, 2005

Meaningful Life

After trying out my hand writting a technical blog I am now back to writing blogs on general topics. I learnt that I need to do some more homework before I can write a technical blog again. Many said there was lack of explanation. I will definitely keep that in mind.
Anyways, let us come back to the topic in hand. We strive so much to gain knowledge, wealth, yearn for fame etc and yet when we die all this has no meaning. All that we work for all our life looks like a futile attempt. We slog all day in office even foregoing our interests and hobbies, but just look back and there is absolutely no meaning. Everything looks like a big zero.
But then again, there is a saying that we are remembered for our deeds even after our death. Meaning comes to our life more when we are dead than we are alive. So all our deeds should bring us good name so that we gain a meaning in life.
There might be people who might say what do I care what people think when I am dead. But this will make more sense for people who believe in Moksha and the Karma theory.
But there again, people will definitely ask as to whether can we get the meaning of our life when we are alive. For that I have no answer and if you do find out please let me know. Eagerly awaiting the answer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The purpose of the life of any living organism is to spread its genes to the next generation! Period.

Anthro.

Ishwar said...

and to eat gobi manchurian

Anonymous said...

I some how don't agree with the fact that one can judge the meaning of life based on what one is remembered as after he or she is dead. Cause I believe that there are many people who do good deeds without others coming to know about it. Now would you say that his or her life is spent in vain because he or she is not remembered for his good deeds after his or her death ?

Anonymous said...

Hi Vivek,

for me meaning in life is this:

One holy and most loving god has created the universe, world and mankind and especially me. He has created me after his own image to reflect his character into this world and have communion with him with the goal to live with him in eternity after death. This life is part of this plan to determine the eternal fate. His plan is, that his kingdome comes in all the world and that by this peace and justice to all men. As part of his big plan he has gifted me specially and I have the duty to live this out to his glory. This breaks down to every situation in life: Family, Work, Leisure, ...

Thats my meaning in life.